Have you ever tried to play Solitaire with real cards or wondered how a Solitaire game is dealt? Whether you're a beginner or coming back to this classic game, knowing how to set it up correctly is essential for having a fun time. In this easy step-by-step guide, we'll show you how to set up Solitaire, so you can start playing and enjoy the experience.
Shuffle the Deck
To begin your Solitaire game, grab a standard pack of playing cards. Remove any instruction and Joker cards so you have a complete and neat 52-card deck. Ensure the deck is well-mixed and has a random order.
Step 1: Deal the Tableau
1. Now that your deck is ready, it's time to deal the Tableau to set up Solitaire. Begin by putting the first card face up on your left side. Then, deal six more cards, placing them face-down in a row to the right of the first card.
2. Skip the first card and deal six cards. Place the first card face up on the second stack from the left, then deal one card face down on each stack moving to the right.
3. Deal five cards beginning with the third pile, placing the first card face up. Then deal four cards face down on each stack to the right.
4. Count over to the fourth pile and deal four cards. Place one card face up on the fourth stack and three cards face down, one on each stack to the right.
5. Skip the first four stacks and deal three cards. Count to the fifth card and deal one card face up on this stack, followed by one card face down on each of the two stacks to the right.
6. Count to the sixth pile and deal two cards. Place one card face up on the sixth stack and one card face down on the pile to its right.
7. Deal the final card to the last pile. It should be placed face up. This will complete the Tableau with seven stacks, with one face up card on top of each.
Step 2: Prepare the Stock Pile
After setting up the Tableau, place the remaining cards face down above it. This stack is the Stock pile, from which you will draw cards during the game. If you want, you can shuffle the cards again for extra randomness.
Step 3: Prepare the Waste Pile
Reserve a space next to the Stock pile for the Waste pile. This one will be used to place cards drawn from the Stock pile but not currently playable.
Step 4: Prepare the Space for the Foundations
In the top right or left corner, make some room for the four Foundations, one for each suit: Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, Spades. The Foundations are the piles where you will move the cards to win the game.
Well done! You've set up Solitaire and are now ready for a fun card-playing experience. Your Tableau, Stock, and Waste piles are all set, so let the exciting journey of playing Solitaire begin! Keep practicing to improve and discover new strategies as you play. Enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction of completing the game successfully!